A Different Christmas Perspective

Often, at this time of year, we as Protestants recoginze our Saviors birth and typically celebrate what we have come to percieve as His arrival or His first coming. However, in recent sermon preparation I was confronted with a passage of scripture that challenged my idea of Jesus COMING to me and provoked the idea that perhaps I am in a season where He has chosen to LEAVE me. Often, as Christians, we think of Jesus leaving to concern His ascension back to heaven; after crucifixion, burial and resurrection. However, there are recordings in scripture where clearly Jesus left His disciples, His followers. One can only observe the scripture and glean from it what he can, why Jesus would choose to leave His children; but nevertheless He does. 

Matthew 14:22, “Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away.” 

Matthew 26:36, “Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray."

What about the creation story, there was a time when God was not there, it was the opportunity the devil took to deceive Eve. 

Perhaps, we to often quote Deuteronomy 31:6, “Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you." Perhaps we too often use this text for our own selfish ambitions. We believe that there can never be anything good come from the fact that God would not be right with us every moment. 

However, I encourage you to go on and read further in the text mentioned or in any case where God was not there with His people in scripture. Always: the disciples, Adam and Eve, and others like you and I found that they were dependent upon Him. 

Without Him you and I are nothing. We too are dependent upon, "His goodness and mercy, following us all the days of our life" (Psalm 23.) I have been challenged by the position of my current circumstances and it has seemed at times over the last few months that He has sent me on ahead without Him, or perhaps that He has told me to be still why He slipped away. Yet, it was these times that I have been reminded how much I need Him. He is my life sustainer. He is my joy, my peace, my comfort, my self control, my provider, my healer, my constant friend, my Heavenly Father and He is my Savior! 

Be encouraged today. If it seems as though the heavens are brass, and Jesus is no where to be found, He will come walking on the water, in the midst of your storm and you to will find yourself Praising Him for reminding you of your constant need for Him. 

Just think about it, He may have walked ahead of you, but just as He came to a manger 2,000+ years ago, He will come to you again, right in time of your need. 

Be Blessed! 

--Josh Edwards



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning

The Discovery

A Christmas Miracle - Assurance for the New Year