A Christmas Miracle - Assurance for the New Year

This past Sunday, Christmas Eve, I concluded the teaching series at our church; LaFayette Church of God. Waiting, not only a series for teaching, but also one that I have written about over the last few weeks. However, as we brought this to a close we were reminded perhaps of the greatest Christmas miracle, ever. Sure, the birth of Jesus Christ is the greatest one, but who God chose to include in His birth story, perhaps, makes it that much better.

A familiar story, to believers, found in the Gospel according to Luke, chapter 2; gives us insight to some intentional planning of God. In fact, the reality is, I wouldn't have chosen Mary but He did. Sure I know the prophet foretold it would be a virgin birth, but surely there were other virgins in the city of Nazareth. I doubt I would have chosen Joseph. Again, I know that even the angel gave us insight that Jesus would be of the lineage of David, and I know that Joseph met this need. But why a carpenter, to raise the Only Begotten? More than any other question...I want to know why God chose the shepherds.

It has been said, that those who were shepherds could be nothing more. Some believe that these were societies least. Dirty people, working dirty jobs. Of all the people God could have chosen to announce the birth of His One and Only Son too, He chose the least of these. Maybe that's why as a grown man, ministering to those around Him, Jesus said, recorded in Matthew 25:40, "The King will reply, 'Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to Me.'" It was His story, The Greatest Story ever told, shared with the least among them.

Together as a church family, we were reminded that God has also chosen us. We may not have always been the first pick of everyone around us. I shared the story of the many times, I was passed up for the more athletic one in Physical Education class. Though, I have been passed up more times than I want to recall; God so loved Me that He gave His only begotten Son, that if I believe, I would not perish but I would have everlasting life (John 3:16 - personalized.)

I do hope you had a Merry Christmas! However, more than anything I hope today, as we come to the close of 2017 and await with great anticipation the arrival of 2018, you are reminded the greatest Christmas miracle ever, GOD CHOSE YOU! Step into this next year with the assurance You belong to God, and if you will trust Him, He has great plans for you; plans to prosper and not to harm, plans for a great future and hope (Jeremiah 29:11.)

Be blessed.

Pastor Josh


I would be honored if you would be my guest during any of our Encounter opportunities at 
LaFayette Church of God (LaFayette, GA.) You can listen to weekend messages, learn more about our church and financially support the ministry by visiting www.lafayettecog.org.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning

The Discovery

Monday, September 22, 2014