The Discovery

Like so many other, Christian, churches do the beginning of every new year; our church, LaFayette Church of God has embarked into a season of 21 days of consecrated prayer and fasting. For me, the pastor; I feel that this fast needs to be more than just doing without something. I believe it's about The Discovery that God wants to reveal to me and anyone hungry enough to pursue it. 

A confession, I love any story that leads to some sort of discovery. I find myself intrigued with the process or the path that the story line has to take. So  the climax of the show, movie, or book becomes evident through The Discovery. It is almost as though a light bulb goes off. Now I don't confess to always uncovering the clue's. Sometimes I have to watch, or read the entire story so that I can see, The Discovery, through the actor/author. Yes, I have certain things that I am asking God for in this season of consecrated prayer and fasting. Although, I believe through this time, He wants me to reDISCOVER Him! He wants me to realize that there are so many things in my life, that don't have to be. There are frustrating, energy draining, stressful things in my life that He wants to purge, through my obedience. 

As I have thought about various types of fast; a complete fast, the Daniel fast (Daniel 10:3),  a partial fast and even now - in current society - a media fast. I have pondered the why. Why do we go without something that we love? Or without something that brings us so much joy? One writer said, "Fasting is about the condition of the heart, not the number of days." Maybe it could be continued to say, neither what you do without. I feel that what you refrain from should be accompanied by the attitude, mindset and condition of the heart; that He, Jesus, will replace it with something so much greater! 

Jeremiah 29:13, 'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.'

Are you hungry enough to seek Him? Though you may not see Him right now? Are you passionate about The Discovery that awaits you, in Him? If so, it takes your whole heart. Not part of it. Not only on good days. Not only on Sunny ones. But, every day should be a day when you seek, search, and FIND! You should always be discovering in Him. He is so much more than you have seen. He's Greater than you have ever known. He wants to manifest Himself in your life. Let Him! 


Joel 2:12-13 “Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity." 

Today, as we continue this journey, be reminded the most important thing you can gain through this fast, is a closer relationship with your Lord. He wants you to Discover Him again!

Lord, help me on this journey to discover you like I have never known you before. Help me to see your greatness again. Help me to be more like you. Help me to see the things I sacrifice the next few days, mean nothing compared to the discovery I am going to find in You! I love you Jesus. In Jesus Name, Amen! 

Be Blessed-- 

Josh Edwards
lead pastor

Kaye and I would be honored for you to join us, as our guest, at any of the Encounter Opportunities at our church; LaFayette Church of God (LaFayette, GA)
You can learn more about our church, listen to Encounter messages and financially support its ministry by visiting www.lafayettecog.org.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning

Monday, September 22, 2014